Friday, August 25, 2006

Study 21 "Praise to Yahweh" Part 2

Psalm 9.1-2

Worship is like love: if we are concerned mainly with our own sensual experience of either, we have made them both self-seeking. Why do we worship? How do we love? How do we know we have done either? Must we have an emotional response in worship or love in order to know our experience in either arena is legitimate?

Many pastors and counselors have sat with a husband or wife who have, with grief and guilt, confessed to not loving their spouse any longer. When questioned about the meaning of such an admission, most answer that they do not "feel" for the other person what they once did. Therein lies the confusion. Feeling has been equated with love. Feeling is not love; feeling results from love. Indeed, the great mistake many make is to root their love for another solely on the basis of emotion.

A question that should be asked of those who declare they no longer feel for another what they once did. If we require a feeling in order to love, then who is love all about? If a feeling is absent, then I have declared that I am the focus of my love, not the person whom I am supposed to love. If I do not feel, then I am mourning the loss of my feeling; thus, love of that sort is self-centered.

If I am able to love solely because I feel something, then I have no concern for the person I am supposed to love. Their needs are meaningless to me; only my emotional need matters. Such a view totally distorts the biblical definition of love. First Corinthians 13 includes no sensual terms at all. Every defining word is cast in terms of commitment and loyalty. When I marry a couple, I challenge them in the following way. I ask each if they will take the other to "to have and to hold from this day forward, in sickness and in health, in poverty or in wealth; to love and to cherish so long as we both shall live. To this I pledge to you my faith." I have never, nor will I ever, ask anyone to base their marriage commitment on something as foolish as "as long as I love," or "as long as I feel love." Paul declared that "love never fails."

We have done the same injustice to worship. If I have been told once, I have been told hundreds of times by so many that worship was boring and they had not been fed. If people stopped long enough to consider the logic of such statements, they would slink away in shame. No one can make worship boring for a believer other than the individual himself. Now, a congregation’s worship may not be inspiring and may be bland, but I control my own enthusiasm. If I have been experiencing the works of God in my life, no one will be able to hinder my joy and gladness as I worship.

Seemingly, those who find worship boring are those who have idea what being a Christian means. Paul told the Philippians, "He who began a good work in you will perfect it . . . ," and "it is God who is at work in you . . ." If these verses be true, as we affirm them to be so, then each of us who has been saved is being perfected every passing day as God is at work in our lives. Now, the person who misses that may not be under construction by the Divine Architect. Further, if he is a person bored in his worship, he is bored in his life. Such a person’s life is static and unchanging, giving proof of no activity by God in him. God is bringing us to Christ-likeness through every moment and circumstance of life. How can one not be excited by that fact.

If one comes away from worship without the feeling he believes should have resulted from worship, he did not carry with him into the worship event the requisite emotions. We worship God because we are glad, joyful, excited, and enthusiastic about who He is, not in order to find joy. We have had his character affirmed to us daily as God has dealt with us through grace and mercy.

Love "rejoices in the truth." Worship must be "in spirit and in truth." Love and worship share a deep bond. We worship God because we love him. We are to be committed and loyal to him in all things. Our love for God is our purpose for existence. Even on days when we "feel bad," we can still worship. If we just consider for a moment what God has done for us, we can get over the bad feelings and find great joy.

No comments: